Haemorrhoids are usually very uncomfortable but are not dangerous or life threatening. Haemorrhoidal symptoms can disappear after a few days but eventually return, often worse.
You may have developed haemorrhoids if you have the following symptoms:
- Blood in your stool or toilet bowl
- Blood on your toilet paper
- Incomplete and painful bowel movements
- Itching and/or irritation in or near anus
- Painful lump in or near your anus
- Pain while sitting
We do suggest you consult your general practitioner if you are not sure about your symptoms being from haemorrhoids. Bleeding and pain from your rectum could be symptoms of a more serious illness.